About Me

My photo
Texas, United States
Sweet Remission! God is so good!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Week 11......No Sugar Coating...........

My friend, Polly, used to always say, "Sometimes you just can't sugar coat it."  What a true statement!

This past Monday, Leslie completed Week #11 of the first twelve weeks of the first round of chemo.  It was a hard day for her and as Polly would say......you just can't sugar coat it. 

These past weeks I've tried to share the good times and illustrate for you the bond of family and friends.......how all these wonderful people have jumped in to help Leslie and Jim as they move through these treatments that are now woven into the threads of their everyday lives..........EVERYDAY LIVES.....not just an occasional visit to the doctor's office for a shot or an x-ray......weekly (sometimes twice a in one week) trips to Tyler to the ETMC Cancer Center where Leslie spends about 4 hours receiving several IV bags of chemo, anti-nausea meds, benedryl and whatever else has been prescribed as part of her treatment. 

I was only at the Cancer Center for a short while, but I must say the employees and patients are very special.  Bob & Nancy Swain were there for Bob's final treatment and he was all smiles to be in remission.  He laughed and told Leslie, "I may just come back up here in three weeks just for the fun of it."  He was teasing, of course, but great to see his smile.  Such a good man.

Leslie started the day not feeling well and as the treatment progressed, she felt even worse.  She curled up on a little sofa with her blanket and tried to rest throughout the long process, but it just wasn't possible that day.  As her mother, it breaks my heart to watch my daughter dealing with this horrible disease.  With each week, we watch her move through the process.....staying focused on her goal to be cancer-free and get back to some kind of normal life.  We know she'll get there, but as we all also know, once cancer shows up we develop such a conscious awareness that invades our lives and never really goes away. ......that same awareness changes us forever and although she will beat the cancer, we'll all be keenly aware of how our lives have changed and how we all now want to join in to help make a dfference for others.  How many times have we heard the commercials for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure?  ........"So no mother, no sister, no daughter......ever has to go through this."  What a statement!  Sure rings true now for our family!  And folks, let me tell you....whatever you think you know about cancer and the treatment.....it is so much worse than you can even imagine.......

As my emotions continually run the gamut, I know my feelings of helplessness can't compare to what Les & Jim must feel.  I'm in awe of their spirits, their love and their devotion to each other and their girls.  I am frustrated that I can't be there for them every single day, but as I'm blogged before, so many wonderful people have stepped up to the plate and offered their assistance.  In fact, this past week, my sweet sister, Debra, dropped by with food on Tuesday evening after she had worked all day and then drove from Tyler to Mineola.........she provided supper (or do we call it dinner in East Texas?), stayed to feel little Avery, bathed Avery.......then announced to Les & Jim....."Put me down for Tuesday and Wednesday evening.  I'll be here to cook, feed, bathe....whatever is needed."  What a generous gift.......Debra, you are so loved and appreciated!

Sooooooo, since this is Wednesday, Debra is enjoying bathtime laughter at the Herlocker Household.......Avery can still fit in the kitchen sink and she loves splashing the water.........Note the single tooth shining..........



Such a sweet little girl........now, there's some serious sugar coating!

2 comments:

  1. Penny, I send you, Leslie, Jim, their daughters, and your sister, Debra giant hugs and tons of prayers. You are a beautiful family. And Leslie, beat this. Keep fighting the fight. Much love to you all, Debbie Davis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud to call Debra my mom and you all my family!
    Leslie keep up the hard work, you are amazing! I love you mucho!!! Thanks for sharing Aunt Penny.

    ReplyDelete